Tuesday, August 11, 2015

week 3 in the CCM

I guess I will start by answering your questions about the CCM. They have a little store that shows up two or three days a week. We go outside for sports and to walk to the temple, and we might go to the market next week! As far as food, they have really good mashed potatoes we had one day that reminded me of home, so that was good and bad. I have eaten a lot I don't like cause for breakfast they basically just throw a bunch of random foods in a tortilla and put sauce all over it, haha. We have an hour of fitness everyday and I always play volleyball with my district. We have to be up by 6:30 but I always get up 15 or 20 minutes early to get a shower, and lights out is at 10:30. We haven't done any service projects yet. I really like personal study time when I can just read the Book of Mormon or study Preach my Gospel.

We get along pretty well with one of teachers, but it is hard with the other one. He is just very, very by-the-book. Even if the Spirit says do something else, he forces us to do it his way. Also he told us that God is dissapointed in us the other day cause we weren't speaking enough Spanish. I don't know if that's something you want to tell a bunch of homesick missionaries who are two and half weeks out in the field haha. I think the teachers are all just local returned missionaries.

So my pday schedule is: leave for temple at 6:20, breakfast at 9:30, and sometime between 10-5, I write and play sports and clean. It changes every week so that is kind of hard.

The weather is alright cause we are in the city, but Coban sounds like it will be pretty brutal. Every time I tell people I am going to Coban they get this look of pity and say "good luck Elder." But at this point I'll go anywhere not to be in a classroom all day haha. I can understand maybe half or seventy-five percent of what the natives are saying, so I do okay. Apparently there is a very good chance I will have to learn this language called "Kechi" (I did not spell that right) and it is really difficult. We have two Elders here that are natives that are learning it and they are here for nine weeks....it has been described to me as a combination of Japanese and Spanish, so that will be a treat!

My homesickness comes and it goes. The first couple days were like the worst. The only time I get really homesick is when I have enough time to think about home. Like writing emails is pretty hard for me, and nightimes are pretty hard cause all there is to do is think. But it is definitely getting better! I get about ten e-mails each week so that is pretty good. Your posted letters actually arrived last Monday, I forgot to tell you...oops. But thank you for writing!

The scripture for my plaque is also my spiritual thought for the week, Ether 12:27. It is the scripture about weaknesses into strengths - "And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them." Trust me, I have found a lot of weaknesses on my mission. But everyday I feel the Lord helping me along.

I am glad you guys are doing well! I love you! Thank you for writing, I miss you!

Love,
Elder Toolson

No comments:

Post a Comment