Tuesday, April 4, 2017

week 83

Hey! We had a pretty decent week. We found a guy that wants to be baptized but we still aren't sure if he is married. We have a cita with him on Saturday, but I think he is looking pretty positive. 

We had zone meeting this week and that went really good as well. Me and my companion talked about applying repentance. We did this object lesson using salt and pepper. You put water in a dish, then pour the salt in and say that is your good works, and a little bit of pepper in and say that is your bad works. Then you put some dish soap on your finger and I don't know why, but all the pepper goes to the edge of the bowl so the water is cleaner. We tried to relate that to applying the Atonement in our lives. The Hermanas talked about this talk, "The Purifying Power of Gethsemane" by Bruce R. McConkie, which is one of the dopest talks ever. They also showed a video of church leaders bearing their testimonies about Christ.

General Conference of course was flippin awesome and the best part is I got to listen to every session in English! They had a little tv set up for me and everything! That is the first time in my whole mission so that was the best thing ever. Most of the members came to watch. They had Spanish here in Teleman but we went to Saqsuha' where they had it in all three languages. I loved Elder Costa's talk, when he used that idea about putting his own name in Alma 42 I thought that was super awesome. I want to try to use it with the people we are teaching but I don't know if the Q'eqchi' people will understand it. I felt like every other talk touched on repentance, it was a good reminder on how important daily repentance is in our lives. It is something easy to forget for me. It really was a good conference. I came in with my question of how I can prepare to go home and stay strong and continue to progress once I am there, and in like the first session alone it was answered in like three different ways.

This week will be a good one, I know we have some interviews to do in Tukuru on Friday. We might go to Santo Domingo, my first area, but that is not a for sure thing. 

Today I am with my companion and Elder Rios-Lazo in a trio. His companion is going to some ruins with the other zone because he used to be part of that zone and they met the goal. After we write we are going to Tukuru and eat cake with a family there. Tukuru is in Elder Rios-Lazo's area so we are just going with him. It takes like an hour and a half or so to get there, not too far. It would be like half an hour if all the roads were paved haha. The family are members and I know them pretty well because I used to do divisions with Elder Bos a lot over there and we always went with that family. I'm actually not sure what the cake is for, but they invited us to go, and I am always down for a good cake! We will probably leave here around two or three, we just have to be in La Tinta by four to catch the last bus to Tucuru. We will spend the night there and I think go straight from there to district meeting tomorrow. We have district meeting every Tuesday and Wednesday.

Other exciting news, in two weeks I am going to complete a year with the same parasite! I hear it takes a while to recover, but they give me a bomba (pill that cleans you out) when I go home so it should be good.

My spiritual thought this week comes from Conference. It seemed like they focused a lot on charity, the Holy Ghost, and repentance so I have a lot of notes on that. But there was something that Russell M. Nelson said in his talk "Drawing the Power of Jesus Christ into our Lives," I don't think I copied it exactly, but it is something along these lines - "When we reach for that heavenly power with the same intensity as someone drowning, we will get it. If the Savior can feel you reaching, His power will flow unto you." That isn't word for word but it is something along those lines. That just impacted me really hard. We cannot be at a stand still in this life. We have to work out our salvation and we can't afford to rest. There is a line by an inspirational speaker that says "you have to want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe" and I think it is the same with our salvation. We need to feel a sense of urgency to be obedient, to be worthy, to love others as the Savior does. 

Thank you for everything, I love you!

Love, Elder Toolson 

No comments:

Post a Comment